Did you know that we are giving away up-to 100 iPads, Samsung Galaxy S tablets, and Blackberry Playbooks on January 17th? Enter on Facebook at to receive your ticket numbers today!
When will Verizon make its version of the iPhone available? What will it cost? Will it be a world-mode phone? Will Steve Jobs be on stage to usher in this new era of non exclusivity? We’re making a list of Verizon’s press event announcements below, as they happen. So check it out, and see if Big Red answers all your questions below.
Verizon iPhone: What you need to know
“If the press writes long and hard enough about something, it becomes true… The innovation in this market is mind boggling — and today two innovators are coming together.” —Lowell McAdam, president & COO, Verizon
“Today we’re partnering with a giant of the industry, and that’s Apple.” — McAdam
• Verizon iPhone 4 will be available early next month
• It is CDMA (not world-mode)
• $199.99 for 16 GB with 2 year contract, $299 for 32GB
• Existing customers can pre order Feb. 3
• Verizon iPhone 4 will offer hotspot
• Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs, is on hand
• Same iPhone 4 features everyone knows and loves: FaceTime, Retina Display, 5 MP camera, HD video, custom A4 chip.
• Links on VerizonWireless.com are already live:
• Verizon has been improving its 3G network, implying it can handle the load
• Will Verizon get the iPhone 5 along with AT&T when it’s announced? What about a 4G iPhone? The execs are sort of dodging these questions, stating they’re in a “quiet period” ahead of earnings reports.
• Is CDMA iPhone exclusive to Verizon? No. It’s a multi-year, non-exclusive agreement.
• What about receiving call during data use? Same as other CDMA devices. (Indeed, no simultaneous voice and data)
• Additional charge for tethering? They’re not saying right now. Announcements on that in the future. (Our money is on yes, this will probably cost extra.)
• Data caps? Apple, at least, isn’t commenting. Probably doesn’t want to criticize its other existing carrier partner.
Be warned, if you’re switching from AT&T’s iPhone to Verizon’s: (VZW FAQ) “If I have an iPhone 4 on another wireless carrier and switch to an iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless, will all of my accessories be compatible? Most accessories should work, however you may find that cases and covers could be different depending on the product manufacturer.”
So Verizon and Apple finally did it! At this point, did these cellular giants answer all your questions? Do you have others, or are you satisfied with these details? Let us know what’s on your mind.