Well, we finally have a jailbreak tool out now for iOS 4.1. You may be a veteran jailbreaker or this could be the first time you have ever heard the word jailbreak. Either way you could be wondering how these new tools need to be used. So we’ve got a guide to get you going.
If you are using your device on an unsupported carrier, then you may want to hold off on updating to 4.1 and wait for an unlock for the 5.12.01 and 2.10.04 basebands. Or you could download Tinyumbrella while updating to 4.1 and block the baseband update.
What you will need:
iPod Touch 3G
iPod Touch 4G
Keeping Unlockable Baseband:
1. Updating without losing your unlock is very simple. Just start up Tinyumbrella and select to save your SHSH
2. Now start the TSS server connection. This will make sure that the update communicates with Cydia’s servers instead of Apples when verifying the update.
3. Now in iTunes you will want to Restore your device. DO NOT UPDATE! Hold down Left Shift and click on Restore, this will let you select the firmware you have saved on your computer.
4. While iTunes is updating your device it will throw out a 1004 error. Don’t worry since this is something you want. It means that it failed at updating your baseband and you will still have to unlockable baseband on your device.
5. Your device should still be stuck in recovery. To get it out click on “Kick device out of recovery” and it should reboot on you.
UPDATE: If you have already updated you phone to iOS 4.1 and never used Tinyumbrella then you will have the new basebands which are NOT unlockable at the moment. But do be patient as there is hope for an unlock for the new basebands. We will let you know as soon as it is released.
1. Connect your Device to your computer and open the Limera1n program.
2. Click on the “Make it Ra1n” button. This will first turn off your device
3. Now follow the instructions by holding down both the Home and Power buttons.
4. When it prompts you to, release the Power button. But keep holding the Home button.
5. Once Limera1n tells you that you are in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode then you can release the Home button as well.
6. This is when Limera1n really starts to do its thing. Once your device turns back on you should see a Limera1n icon on your springboard.
7. Open the Limera1n application and install Cydia. Now reboot your device and Cydia should show up on your springboard
8. Once Cydia is installed you can open Limera1n once more and select to uninstall the jailbreak application.
9. Now if you still need that unlock you will need do open Cydia and search for Ultrasn0w. This will let you use your iPhone on any unsupported GSM carrier in the world.
And there you have it guys, pretty simple isn’t it? The only thing is that it does take about a good hour out of your day to complete the whole process and get all of your applications, music and contacts back on your device.
Hopefully you found this guide quite useful, and let us know if there have been any issues with updating, jailbreaking or unlocking.