iPhone catches fire, Maine teen suffers 1st and 2nd-degree burns

iphone 5c

Every now and then when reporting on iPhones and gadgets, we hear stories of malfunctions causing injury. In most cases, it’s when unofficial third party charging cables and accessories overheat, or catch fire. This time out, it’s the device itself.

A 13-year-old schoolgirl from Maine suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns when her iPhone caught fire in her back pocket. According to the report on USA Today, she sat down and heard a popping sound from her pocket, then noticed smoke. Her female classmates asked the boys to leave the classroom while she got rid of her pants. A teacher then brought a blanket. After being admitted to hospital, she was treated and released.

“People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause an electrical short,” one official says. (There’s no official word from Apple after the report.)

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” says the principal, who credits the girl with a “stop, drop, and roll” move when the incident happened.

Speculation states that it was an iPhone 5c, but there’s been no confirmation so far regarding which model iPhone it was. However, it likely isn’t a case of needing to be worried by a faulty batch. In this case, it’s more likely that the phone’s been sat on that many times, that it’s become damaged, and – in this case – shorted the device.

Via: USA Today

Tags: , , , ,

  • ladywarb

    TiP_Cam wowsers!!

  • DrewPage

    Holy carp!  Its rare that this happens, but Apple owes the teen a new iPhone and a big apology.

  • jabombardier

    I never heard of a phone being sat on too many times until it shorted and caught fire. I heard if phones blowing up in people’s ear though. In this case I don’t buy it that she sat on it too much. I strongly believe it’s faulty circuitry.

  • RedGeminiPA

    It’s too bad her negligence came back to burn her (pun intended). Most schools don’t allow phones to be on your person during the school day anyway. They’re supposed to be turned off and in your locker. 

    After she recovers, I hope they suspend her for at least 3 days to get the point across. NO PHONES IN SCHOOL! They’re in school to learn, not for texting and playing Candy Crush. 

    Maybe this is Apple’s new push for education. It might get students fired up for learning (more pun intended).