The incredibly popular Twitter client Tweetbot 3 by Tapbots has been updated to version 3.1 as was expected. Tweetbot 3 was a dramatic update from Tweetbot 3 in order to redesign, recode and optimize the app for iOS 7.
In order to do so and ship the app quickly, Tapbots took out some features in the initial release of Tweetbot 3. The third generation of Tweetbot was a separate, paid app (to the chagrin of many) and the absence of some features was surely an annoyance in an app they perceived to have paid for twice.
The features stripped out of Tweetbot 3 consisted of the ability to alter text size regardless of the system-wide text size setting, viewable lists in the timeline and the right swipe gesture for quick actions like replying to or favoriting a tweet. Thankfully, these features have returned in version 3.1 among other enhancements and bug fixes.
Here are the full release notes:
What’s New in Version 3.1
- Using a list as your timeline is back (hold down on “Timeline” title to reveal the menu)
- Right swipe to quick reply (short swipe and release for custom action)
- Resize text within the app (Settings > Display)
- Option to set square avatars and hide timeline badges (Settings > Display)
- Email conversations or share via Storify
- “Last tweet x minutes ago” is back in the profiles (under recent images)
- Removed “Retweeted by” string so there’s less chance of truncation
- Lots of bug fixes
Having only used Tweetbot since version 3, I can say I am looking forward to trying out some of the functions that are new to me. But for long-time Tweetbot fans, it must be great to see some of the functions you loved in Tweetbot 2 finally make it into version 3.
Are you glad to see these features return to Tweetbot?
The update to Tweetbot 3 is a free download and is available now. If you don’t already own the app, Tweetbot 3 is available for $2.99/£1.99 in the App Store.