iPad Air catches fire, causes Vodafone store evacuation in Canberra, Australia

fire

We’ve heard stories in the past of iPhones, iPads and other devices heating up, exploding or catching fire. More often than not, it’s because someone’s used an unauthorized third party charger. It’s almost never a store unit plugged in to an official adapter.

At a Vodafone store in Australia, that trend has seemingly ended. A demo iPad Air unit caught fire. The fire brigade was called, and the store was evacuated. Thankfully, nobody was hurt during the incident. According to News.com.au:

“A burst of flames” appeared from the charging port of an iPad demo model, a Vodafone spokesperson confirmed.

The fire brigade was called in after the store filled with smoke and sparks continued to appear from the charging port.

As to what’s caused the problem there’s a lot of uncertainty. We’re presuming it was plugged in to an official charger, as is normally the case with in-store demo units. Apple sent someone to the store following the incident to collect the iPad for investigation.

Have you ever had an exploding device, or been in a store and had to be evacuated?

Via: News.Com.Au

Tags: , , , , ,

  • DrewPage

    Well, no.  I’ve actually never heard of an Apple device exploding in any store.  Probably just a defective unit.  Its good no one was hurt, and I am sure it was a fluke.

  • SKfan77

    DrewPage  Tesla and Apple products catch fire and the fanbois like Drew Page come to their rescue

  • DrewPage

    Not true at all. I simply meant that it’s not that big of a deal as long as no one was injured.

  • RuloFlores

    SKfan77 DrewPage Cause, you know…Samsung or other products have never catched fire before.

  • Oberoth

    There must be CCTV footage of this happening, would love to see it!