BBM finally landed on the App Store recently, and we’ve been fortunate enough to have our hands on it. One of its biggest frustrations, however, was being forced to wait in line for access. After registering an email address, BlackBerry then made you wait for a confirmation email before allowing you to start using it. A couple of days after launch, it’s been downloaded 10 million times. So waiting times are long.
If you want to get past those, try this little workaround.
- Search the App Store and download BBM
- Open the app and input your email to register. This will enter you in to the virtual queue.
- Go back to the home screen by pressing your home button.
- Force-close the app by double-tapping the home button and swiping BBM up and away (in iOS 7).
- Re-open BBM and you should be able to create a new BBM account and use the app straight away.
This handy little tip was first published by CNET, but we felt it was so handy we should share it with you too. That said, there’s every chance BlackBerry notices the workaround and disables it from their end. So if you want to try it, you’re better off trying it soon. If it doesn’t work, you know why.
[UPDATE - The bug was patched up, and won't work anymore.]