The one night I go to sleep early, Google decides to launch the eagerly awaited Maps app for iOS. Typical. If you’ve been crying (like me) since your favorite maps app was removed from your default collection, you can now rejoice! Although the service is virtually the same as the old app, its UI is drastically different. There are no hints that Apple are involved at all. No chrome finish, no iOS-ness. It looks like a Google app. Which I like a lot. It also has turn-by-turn navigation!
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.”
Hit this link to download the app. It’s not iPad optimized, but early reviews are really, really good. We’ll have our own up later today.