Tumblr for iOS has just received an update to version 3.2.
We’re so thrilled to tell you that our app is now completely native! Get ready for a faster, smoother, and more responsive Tumblr Dashboard.
– Completely redesigned Dashboard — bigger photos and faster post loading.
– Spiffy new notification previews — see exactly which posts were liked, reblogged, or replied to!
– New blog screens with blog portraits and descriptions.
– GIFs play automatically on your Dashboard! Slide your finger across to view frame by frame.
– New gestures — swipe right on any screen to go back to the previous view; long tap photos, links, tags, and post headers for more options.
The new Dashboard design is barely noticeable, but GIFs now play automatically(*) now instead of needing you to tap the “GIF” button. There is also a frame-scrubbing feature, where you can move your finger back and forth to go through the frames of a GIF animation. Gestures work well and are great for those times when you get lost after you start tapping from the Explore tab.
* I have noticed, however, that there are problems with GIF playback. For me, the first GIF on my dashboard played fine and could be scrubbed, but the rest of the GIFs simply will not play, no matter what page I view them on, how much I tap them, etc. So if GIFs are very important to you and you’re on an iPhone 4 like I am, you may want to wait for the next update.
Head on over to iTunes to get the update, and let us know how it works for you!