I know it’s a little early (Christmas has only just been), but I’m sure Santa Jobs is checking his post already. If he spots my wish list, he may well put his army of iElves to work redesigning the iPhone to suit me in time for June. I’ve been reading a lot recently from techy people who want changes to the OS more than anything, but I’m ever so slightly not a nerd. So here goes:
1) Camera Flash/LED – I’m not particularly bothered about the quality of the camera, 3.2mp with a very good quality screen is enough on a mobile phone. I have a good camera anyhow, and despite widespread belief, it’s the lens that gives a better quality image, not the amount of megapixels. My belief is that they’ll up it to 5mp anyhow, but I’d most like to be able to take some pictures when the light isn’t so good. It’d be even more beneficial when recording video.
2) Faster Processor – You can’t really knock the running speed of the iPhone 3GS; everything runs pretty swiftly. However faster is always better, and it would mean they could put a far prettier OS on there. Would it overheat though? Probably not if they use their brand-new silicon.
3) Multitasking – This is the one thing I think everyone agrees with, and I’m coming round to it. I don’t think multiple apps running at the same time can be overlooked anymore. It’s becoming slightly irritating having to go out of one app I’m in the middle of using just to reply to a text or read an email.
4) Prettier OS – It’s all about the look. I’m not particularly fussed about a new notification system, but having a background would certainly make it more pleasurable to look at. If the iPad’s 3.2 OS is anything to go by, it could already be in the pipeline for the iPhone.
5) New Hardware – The old iPhone style is getting a little boring. The device’s look hasn’t really changed over the last few years; in fact it’s been exactly the same for the past two years. We know Apple’s design team can show some real flair, they don’t need to be as lazy as the Porsche design squad. It’d be a shame if, in five years’ time, we were still looking at something barely distinguishable from the original iPhone 2G.
6) Front-loaded iSight camera – I love the Skype app, but it doesn’t feel right without the ability to have a video call.
7) More Memory – They should increase the memory to 32GB and 64GB, 16GB is not enough. With the number of apps, videos and music available, it’s far too easy to fill the phone up, especially over a two-year contract. I know I could delete some stuff, but I’d rather not.
There are a lot who want the new OS to look and work like Palm’s Web OS, Android, or even Samsung’s TouchWiz. To those people I say: “NO!” I think to overhaul the OS completely would ruin it’s “iPhone-ness.” To change it too much would make it unrecognizable, and it would merge in to the almost uniform OS that is slowly taking over other smartphones. If you want Android, get an Android phone.. sorry.
So these are my thoughts. What are yours? What would you like to see in the Cupertino company’s next mobile offering? Weigh in below. We’ll do a poll based on this feedback, and find out if your most desired features matches the community’s.